Discontinued Hallmark Legacy Cords in High Demand (2021) *UPDATED*

The Legacy Cord powers up to four Magic Keepsake Ornaments produced in 2009 and earlier. Unfortunately, it was discontinued and not available this year. This means there are 15 Star Trek ornaments (and hundreds of other Hallmark ornaments) that will remain dark, quiet and motionless if you are without.

The cord can be found secondhand on eBay at a premium. So far this month 20 Legacy Cords have been sold on eBay averaging more than $180 each. Considering each cord only lights four ornaments you would be paying $45 to power each ornament.

Hallmarkstartrekornaments.com has had more than 7,500 searches for Hallmark’s Legacy Cord just in 2021. There is no doubt Hallmark should bring back the Legacy Cord for the longtime Hallmark faithful.

“I am desperately looking for legacy cord.please bring it back.”

Nelda Cummings September 28, 2021 at 2:06 pm

“Really need to bring these back for those of us that just want to enjoy our ornaments. eBay prices are outrageous!!!!”

Camille Johnson October 24, 2021 at 4:40 pm

“Please bring back the legacy cord. Missed it the first time — will not if you bring back.”

Pat November 21, 2021 at 10:08 pm

“Why stop making The legacy cord? I have many ornaments prior to 2010 that I now cannot use. We enjoyed them and spent a lot of money on them. Come on Hallmark!”

Paula Page November 24, 2021 at 11:29 am

“I have been a collector of your Hallmark Ornaments for many years, especially the Peanuts Plug Ins plus many others. I have so many that one cord would be enough to power up my ornaments. I can’t afford to pay the high ridiculous prices for the few i find on the secondary market. How can we enjoy these ornaments with no source of power? Please bring these Legacy Cords back so we can have a Merry Christmas and keep the tradition alive.”

Ellen Van Handel December 4, 2021 at 11:41 pm

“I agree with all of the comments! I would love to power my Star Wars Hallmark Ornaments with the Legacy Power Cord and not have incandescent light bulbs interfere with the new LED ones. Please bring it back, Hallmark, for us collectors.”

Josh December 7, 2021 at 12:58 am

“I have quite a few of the older Star Trek ship ornaments that plug into the older style Chrismas lights.  Does Halmark sell any kind of powered strip with these older connections?”

Geoff H., email, December 7, 2021

“Good evening, do you know where I may be able to locate and procure the Legacy Power Cord? I have several Star Trek ornaments that I would love to display. Any help you could provide would be gratefully appreciated.”

James, email, December 8, 2021

“Have spent hundreds of dollars on hallmark ornaments, this is bs that you no longer sell the cord to connect the magic star trek, journey to space and all the other that i paid at least 25.00 and more for.”

terri zwingle December 11, 2021 at 4:07 pm

“Please bring the legacy cord back. I have collected your ornaments since 1978. I purchased the movement ones and enjoyed them. Now I can’t find any where they work. Please bring back the legacy cord or something similar. Thank you I am disgusted that I paid the extra money for the motion ones and now Hallmark does it support them? I have a dated Hallmark ornament for every year from 1978 forward and would like all of them on my tree….”

Joni Marusak December 12, 2021 at 11:40 am

I understand and appreciate people’s concern about the Legacy Cord. I do believe there’s an alternative in the marketplace that will offer a solution.

Hardware stores, home-improvement stores and online retailers still offer strands of lights that accommodate the outdated “pigtail” connectors. Do a search or read the packaging for “incandescent Christmas lights” with incandescent being the key word. A Lowe’s in my area currently is offering a strand that would work for less than $3, which is a bit of a savings over eBay. If you want to make sure a strand will work, slip one of your less-valuable ornaments in your pocket and check the connection for yourself at the store.

A new incandescent strand also gives the bonus of additional lighting that a Legacy Cord doesn’t. One rule-of-thumb from my engineer friends: plug no more than four pigtails into any one strand of lights. They can be a power drain on the whole cord as it is and plugging in five or more risks blowing a fuse on the strand.

Hope this helps. Merry Christmas and keep those tree photos coming!

Kevin Dilmore, Dec 13, 2021 3:49 PM

Please bring these back. I spends thousand of Dollars at Hallmark and it’s not fair that I can’t power these ornaments anymore.

-Kimmkr, Dec 24, 2021 6:21 PM

Sorry, This is a poor excuse from Hallmark. They have been in very short Supply for years. My store only ever got a few of them ever year. I finally had it lined up to snag one this year and they discontinued them. I dont want to use older style lights on my pre-lit tree so these options are not even options. Hallmark is just being greedy and sees it as a reason to force folks to buy newer versions.

-Scott, Dec 28, 2021 1:00 PM

None of the current incandescent strings that I checked out fit the Magic Ornaments. The sockets are too small. I checked many big-box retailers like Home Depot, Ace Hardware, Target, and Walmart and all the light sockets were too small. The only exception was the set of Phillips incandescent lights I purchased. Those were too large. I have one string of older lights that fit when I hold them in with electrical tape. Kevin, if you know of a specific brand of newer incandescent lights that fit the Magic Ornaments, I’m all ears. If I find one that fits, I’ll update this post.

-Lisa, Dec 28, 2021 6:02 PM

I am trying to power my old Star Trek ornaments. I have tried what you suggest and it doesn’t work. Others have had the same experience as shown in the comments below. Do you have a better answer?

-Patrick Sharp, Dec 31, 2021 1:45 AM

Please, please, we are also desperate for a legacy cord. I thought I had ordered one but received a magic cord instead. So frustrated!

Jody Yoxsimer, January 9, 2022 8:03 pm

Hallmark Star Trek Ornaments compatible with the Legacy Cord:
1991 Enterprise, 1992 Galileo, 1993 Enterprise D, 1994 Klingon Bird of Prey, 1995 Romulan Warbird, 1996 Voyager, 1997 Defiant, 1998 Enterprise E, 1999 Rio Grande, 2000 Borg Cube, 2002 Delta Flyer, 2003 Scorpion, 2004 Vulcan Command, 2004 “The City on the Edge of Forever”, 2005 Locutus of Borg

10 thoughts on “Discontinued Hallmark Legacy Cords in High Demand (2021) *UPDATED*

1. Kevin Dilmore

Hope this helps. Merry Christmas and keep those tree photos coming!

Kevin

1. Lisa

2. Patrick Sharp

1. Lisa

As of now, I do not. I had an old string that had the correct sockets, but I want to find a backup solution if those burn out. If I find one, I’ll update this post. Good luck!

2. Lisa

In case this is helpful…

What I ended up doing, and what worked for me, is to replace the end of the ornament (the part that plugs into the socket) with one of the newer, smaller ones. If you carefully bend back the copper contacts you can slip off the end and slide on a newer one. This isn’t something that you’ll be able to do every year as eventually the contact would break, but given most of the newer incandescent light sets use this smaller socket, you shouldn’t need to switch out every year.

2. Scott